Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 23:43:41 -0700
From:      Murray Stokely <murray@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.6-RC1 (i386) is now available.

 FreeBSD 4.6-RC1 (i386) is now available :

ftp://ftp2.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/ISO-IMAGES/4.6/
						4.6-RC1-install.iso

  The RC has been on ftp-master for over 24 hours so most of the
mirrors have the ISO and FTP install tree, except for some reason
ftp.freebsd.org.  The build for the Alpha platform should be available
within the next 24 hours.

  Please help test this release candidate on as many different
configurations as possible.  We've put together a small testing guide
for users that would like a quick summary of some of the recent
changes that should be tested thoroughly.

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/4.6R/qa.html

  I'd also like to welcome Brian Somers and Bruce A. Mah to the
release engineering team.  They've been a huge help so far.  This
release candidate was built by Brian.

Known Problem :

  Due to a buffer truncation in sysinstall, the gnome meta-port in
4.6-RC1 does not install correctly.  This has been fixed and will be
functional for the next release candidate.

  For more information about the FreeBSD 4.6 release cycle, or the
release engineering process in general, please see our web site :

  http://www.FreeBSD.org/releng

  Thanks,

  - Murray / FreeBSD Release Engineering Team Lead