Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 06:43:20 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripting

> From: Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
> Many people use PERL and Python for web scripting.

Yup. I've used both for that, but these days prefer Python.

> Python is more like C and Java than Perl, which makes it a little easier
> to learn. PERL is quite pwerful, but can be a pain in the rump to learn.

I found it to be just the opposite. Then again, Perl borrows from awk,
sed, and sh (at the very least) as well as C, and I knew all of those
before I started Perl. Python's is OO to the heart, which has an
upside and a downside. The downside is that you can't write even
simple scripts without knowing at least the syntax for dealing with
objects. The upside is that things that are deep, dark magic in Perl
are standard OO things in Python - once you've found them.

That last bit pretty much covers the differences in learning the
languages. The really esoteric tricks in Python are simple and obvious
- but poorly documented. The really esoteric tricks in Perl are really
esoteric, but properly documented.

	<mike