Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 2003 13:49:24 +0100
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   gettext, _nl_domain_bindings and charset.alias

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

Hi,

I just ran into a problem updating the port for gqview; this port searches
for a libintl.so library but doesn't appear to find it. After a lot of
research it turned out to be a missing _nl_domain_bindings symbol,
which caused configure's test link to fail.

However, we do provide a libintl_nl_domain_bindings symbol -- after patching
configure to use this, gqview finally found libintl (although .a) and ran
fine.

I couldn't figure out a reason for this imho gratuitious difference,
however. Nothing else in /usr/lib or /usr/local/lib or /usr/X11R6/lib
provided a symbol named _nl_domain_bindings, so a name conflict
is out of the question. I don't see any patches in the devel/gettext
port to rename internal symbols.

Is gqview's configure (and thus aclocal.m4) b0rked? Or are we just
different than Linux / other *nices?

On a related note, I was investigating this issue because I noticed
gqview installing $PREFIX/lib/charset.alias and
$PREFIX/share/locale/locale.alias files. I wanted to prevent this because
these couldn't be specific to gqview. As it turns out this was indeed becau=
se
gqview build it's own internal libintl, see problem above. However there
are more ports that suffer from this problem:

[stijn@pcwin002] </usr/ports> find . -name 'pkg-plist' | xargs grep lib/cha=
rset.alias
=2E/databases/namazu2/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/devel/avr-gcc/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/devel/msp430-gcc/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/games/dopewars/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/japanese/texinfo/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/korean/ami/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/mail/courier/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/mail/sqwebmail/pkg-plist:share/sqwebmail/lib/charset.alias
=2E/mail/sylpheed/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/net/ap-utils/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/sysutils/gtk-imonc/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/sysutils/xcdroast/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias
=2E/textproc/opensp/pkg-plist:lib/charset.alias

Any opinion on all of this?

--Stijn

--=20
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids,
we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and
listening to repetitive electronic music."
		-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc., 1989

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu--