Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 12:58:25 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com>
Cc:        msoulier@digitaltorque.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: php dependency hell

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:15:38 -0600 (CST)
Philip Hallstrom <freebsd@philip.pjkh.com> wrote:

> > Plus, this...
> >
> > [msoulier@kanga php4-cli]$ sudo pkg_delete -n mod_php4-4.4.1,1
> > pkg_delete: package 'mod_php4-4.4.1,1' is required by these other packages
> > and may not be deinstalled:
> > cacti-0.8.6h_41
> > php4-ctype-4.4.1
> > php4-extensions-1.0
> > php4-mysql-4.4.1
> > php4-overload-4.4.1
> > php4-pcre-4.4.1
> > php4-posix-4.4.1
> > php4-session-4.4.1
> > php4-tokenizer-4.4.1
> > php4-xml-4.4.1
> > php4-zlib-4.4.1
> > pkg_delete: 1 package deletion(s) failed
> >
> > How do I resolve this? This looks like a huge mess.
>
> If it were me, I'd remove all of those and start over.  Otherwise add a -f
> option to pkg_delete to forcibly remove mod_php4.

You should be able to use portupgrade with the -o option to replace
mod_php4 with php4.  See the man page for portupgrade for examples
(the EXAMPLES section in particular).

In my experience, this works 90%+ of the time.  If this is a
production system, however, you'll do well to test on a scratch
system first.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.