Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 2009 13:49:58 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Jiandong Lu <lujiandong1001@yahoo.com.cn>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about zlib on FreeBSD

Jiandong Lu <lujiandong1001@yahoo.com.cn> writes:
> zlib package of ms windows could handle .zip archives, it compiles
> minizip into the zip library.

Firstly, zlib is one thing and one thing only, namely the reference
implementation of Jean-Loup Gailly's gzip (aka. deflate) compression
algorithm.  See zlib.net.

Secondly, Microsoft don't maintain official packages of third-party
software, so there is no such thing as "zlib package of ms windows".
Various projects (Cygwin, MSYS, MinGW, GNUWin32) ship pre-compiled zlib
binaries for Windows, but none of the four I mentioned include zip
support in their version of zlib.

> Should we merge minizip into libz ?=20

No.  Why should we?

If you want to create or unpack .zip files on FreeBSD, use tar(1).

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no