Date:      Sat, 25 May 1996 10:41:02 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        karl@mcs.com (Karl Denninger, MCSNet)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers), isdn@muc.ditec.de (FreeBSD ISDN Distribution List)
Subject:   Re: ISDN Compression Load on CPU

Karl Denninger, MCSNet writes:

>> I think the board is under $500.  I haven't looked into the prices for the
>> software development kit.  There are already people in both BSDI and
>> FreeBSD moving on this.
>>
>> There will probably be licencing issues for STAC compression though.  I
>> still think it is worth following up on.
>>
>> If you look at the per B channel cost of a ASCEND MAX or Cisco 5200 UAS
>> you can easily understand the excitement this card can generate.
>>
>> -mh
>
> Huh?
>
> A base ISDN-only ASCEND MAX is about $15,000 from many of the resellers out
> there.  This handles 47 ports, for a per-port cost of $312.00.
>
> That's not bad,

But it's not as good as this board.  Even if you only have 23 B
channels, you're talking of more like $20 per B channel.

> and in fact is less expensive than most analog-line solutions.

Sure, that's one of the advantages of ISDN.

> Its also a one-box 4.5" high solution that painlessly and easily
> goes right into a rack configuration.

I'm sure the board could be built into that form factor.

> Add about $2000 to that price (for the HDLC slotcard) and the same unit
> handles 95 ports, or $178 per "port".

Are you saying it handles 5 PRIs?

> This is too expensive?  Hell, you can't even buy a decent modem *alone* for
> that money!

Assuming there's such a thing as a decent modem :-) But we're talking
ISDN here, not analogue.

Greg