Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 17:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@elite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   GDB remote not working

I am working on debugging a FreeBSD target (snap 20010531) from a VMware
FreeBSD 4.3R host.  I am able to debug the same target machine booted into
Linux + kgdb from a VMware Linux host just fine.

I set up the FreeBSD kernel with options DDB and flags 0x80 on sio0 but
whenever I do "target remote", it never connects to the target.  Just to
be sure the serial was still working, I had the target run a getty on
ttyd0 and was able to cu into it from the host.  I've tried both boot
-d/gdb/s and CTRL-ALT-ESC/gdb/s after booted with the same result.  I've
also tried various combinations of CONSPEED/remotebaud.  Finally, I did a
boot -h and the host worked as a serial console just fine.

I set remotedebug to see what was going on and it looks like the target
is not getting or responding to any messages from the host:

---
Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...Sending packet: $Hc-1#09...
Timed out.
Ignoring packet error, continuing...
(Same for $qC#b4)
(Same for $qOffsets#4b)
Malformed response to offset query, timeout
---

Thanks for any help,
-Nate

gdb commands: