Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:58:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maintainer of ft/lft

In reply:
> > The standards are "free for the asking".  I'll dig up the contact
> > address if you'd like.
> >
> > Biggest problem with the QIC stuff is that there are too many
> > "standards".  Also, it has to cooperate with the ft driver and
> > allowing them to be active concurrently is a nuisance (though
> > I think desirable).
>
> What?  A QIC-117 device is a QIC-117 device is a QIC-117 device
> is the argument that's been going on.  If it *is*, then it doesn't
> have to "cooperate" with anything... it *is* the replacement for
> the ft driver.  Conversely, if cooperation is required, then a
> QIC-117 drive is *not* a QIC-117 drive is *not* a QIC-117 drive
> (which is what I was chewed out for claiming).
>
> If I can't have one driver per standard, then it's not a standard.
>
> I was under the impression that it was being claimed to be a standard;
> if so, the bogusness of the current ft/lft driver in FreeBSD derice
> from it being logically incomplete, not from any fault of the
> manufacturer.
>
> As I said before, if this is the case, I will personally go buy the
> IOmega version of the cruddy on-SCSI hardware to let me hack on the
> driver, as long as I can get documentation without signing non-disclosure
> and making it impossible to hand off the driver and never look at it
> again.

QIC-117 is QIC-117...  QIC-117 is the floppy controller interface and
command set...

the other standards being referred to are media types, head types, and
most importantly logical formatting of the tapes...  essentially, it
is straightforward...

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or