Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:29:48 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        "dkouroun@mailbox.gr" <dkouroun@mailbox.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which one of the systems is best for my

--GID0FwUMdk1T2AWN

[This would have been better to ask on -questions or -hardware.]

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 10:24:18PM +0200, dkouroun@mailbox.gr wrote:
> Dear sirs,
> Thank you for giving us for free the FreeBSD OS. It is a great relief
> haveing an OS for free! I would like to ask you since I am a newbie
> which is the Operating system which suits best for an Opteron dual
> box?
> Is it=20
> FreeBSD AMD64 or
> FreeBSD IA64?

FreeBSD AMD64 or i386 will run on an Opteron.  IA64 will definatly not.

> Can somebody install FreeBSD i386 on an Opteron Dual Box?

Yes.  This will be a good choice in many cases because third-party app
support is still better.  Hopefully this will change by 5.3 or so.

> How much memory do those systems support?

In i386 4GB unless there is PAE support (I'm not sure).  With amd64,
more then existing motherboards support.

> Are they compatible with OpenMP and MPI ?

Both of the opensource MPI implementations work fine and have ports
(MPICH and LAM-MPI.)  I don't know of a free OpenMP implemenation with
FreeBSD support, but I haven't looked either.

> Is there any Linux alternative to FreeBSD for 64bit OS (SuSe or
> RedHat) which one would you suggested?

Neither.  This is a FreeBSD list. :-)

-- Brooks

--=20