Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2006 12:38:56 +0300
From:      Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@teledomenet.gr>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   using loopback address as primary address

Hello everybody,

Suppose I have two addresses routed to my box over a
PPP interface. I have created on Host_2 a loopback interface
and assigned to it Inet_addr_2. Host_1 routes to Host_2
Inet_Addr_2 and everything works if something is coming
from internet to Inet_Addr_2. Host_2 has as default router
rfc1918_Addr_1 and of course it uses its fxp0 address
for outgoing packets. Can I somehow use lo1 address
for connections initiated from Host_2? Or is there any
other way of doing such a thing? Or nat is the thing
to do?

Router

     | internet

ng0  Inet_Addr_1
Host_1
fxp0 rfc1918_Addr_1

     | rfc1918 network

fxp0 rfc1918_Addr_2
Host_2
lo1 Inet_Addr_2

Another possible sollution would be a tunnel, but
I am looking for something more simple.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, Nikos