Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:12:08 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        William Wallace <ww@austin.rr.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on Alpha problems

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 12:34:36PM -0500, William Wallace wrote:

> I'd like to ask a general question regarding the Alpha port of FreeBSD.
> Over time I've noticed that the Alpha "installer" (from ISO IMAGE) is not as
> "robust" as the i386 one.  In the past (4.5-RELEASE), there were many errors
> during installation that had to be basically ignored.  Recently, after
> deciding to install my Alpha server from scratch, I noticed two things:
>
> 1) The 4.6.2-RELEASE ISO images don't exist, there's been a "README.TXT"
> file on the ftp server that indicates that the alpha ISOs would be available
> in 48 hours ever since the i386 ISOs showed up.

There is work in progress to build the packages set. The basic ISO is
available (internally). I'll check with the other re-alpha folks if
we can make the package-less ISO available already.

> Also, looking into the future of the Alphas (or the absence of one).  Will
> FreeBSD on Alpha be discontinued any time in the near future?

No. We would welcome more people helping (for example) test Alpha stuff.
And active developers for Alpha as well of course.

Wilko