Date:      Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:17:56 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.0 Snap----

On Sunday, 26 July 1998 at 12:39:00 -0700, William Woods wrote:
> I dont know if this is the right list, but.............Would you all (those of
> you who are running it) consider 3.0 useable and stable to use in a work
> enviroment? I know it is beta but I just had to ask....

Here's the text from "The Complete FreeBSD", second edition
(http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/bsdbook2.htm).  Decide for yourself,
but don't come crying if it breaks on you.

  FreeBSD-CURRENT is the very latest version of FreeBSD, still under development.
  All  new  development work is done on this branch of the tree.  FreeBSD-CURRENT
  is an ever-changing snapshot of the working sources for FreeBSD, including work
  in  progress,  experimental changes and transitional mechanisms that may or may
  not be present in the next  official  release  of  the  software.   Many  users
  compile  almost  daily  from  FreeBSD-CURRENT sources, but there times when the
  sources are uncompilable.  The problems are always  resolved,  but  others  can
  take  their place.  On occasion, keeping up with FreeBSD-CURRENT can be a full-
  time business.  If you use -CURRENT, you should be prepared to spend a  lot  of
  time  keeping  the system running.  The following extract from the RCS log file
  for /usr/src/Makefile should give you a feel for the situation:

    revision 1.152
    Hooboy!

    Did I ever spam this file good with that last commit.  Despite  3  reviewers,
    we  still  managed  to revoke the eBones fixes, TCL 8.0 support, libvgl and a
    host of other new things from this file in the process of  parallelizing  the
    Makefile.   DOH!  I think we need more pointy hats - this particular incident
    is worthy of a small children's birthday party's worth of pointy hats. ;-)

    I certainly intend to take more care with the processing of aged diffs in the
    future,  even  if  it does mean reading through 20K's worth of them.  I might
    also be a bit more careful about asking for more  up-to-date  changes  before
    looking at them. ;)

  So why use -CURRENT?  The main reasons are:

  o You  yourself  might  be  working  on  some part of the source tree.  Keeping
    ``current'' is an absolute requirement.

  o You may be an active tester, which imples that you're willing to  spend  time
    working  through  problems in order to ensure that FreeBSD-CURRENT remains as
    sane as possible.  You may also wish to make topical suggestions  on  changes
    and the general direction of FreeBSD.

  o You  may  just  want to keep an eye on things and use the current sources for
    reference purposes.

  People occasionally have other reasons for wanting to use FreeBSD-CURRENT.  The
  following are not good reasons:

  o They  see  it  as  a  way to be the first on the block with great new FreeBSD
    features.  This is not a good reason, because there's no  reason  to  believe
    that  the  features  will stay, and there is good reason to believe that they
    will be unstable.

  o They see it as a quick way of getting bug fixes.  In  fact,  it's  a  way  of
    testing  bug fixes.  Bug fixes will be retrofitted into the -STABLE branch as
    soon as they have been properly tested.

  o They see it as the newest officially supported release of FreeBSD.   This  is
    incorrect:  FreeBSD-CURRENT  is  not  officially  supported.   The support is
    provided by the users.