Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:53:05 +0100
From:      Thomas Salmon <thomas.salmon@tu-clausthal.de>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   KDE, Software recording, Samba, Soundcard

Hi friends:

I am still a newcomer to FreeBSD and trying to do the most on own. Until
now I've read nearly the whole documentation on my screen therefore I am
already forced to wear sunglasses, however, now is the point to ask for
help.

#1) My screen only supports a resolution of 640 x 480. KDE seems to be
bigger, so to say a good part of some KDE windows is not visible on my
screen. Is there any solution?

#2) After the installation of some packages, e. g. netscape, some parts
of the program seemed to be missing. On the one hand, a renewed
installation with pkg_add failed (message: "package already recorded"),
whereas a de-installation was not possible for pkg_delete could not find
the package, beyond that the program was not executable (message: "...
could not be found.") though it was where FreeBSD expects it to be
(/usr/local/bin). Is there any possibility to recover such broken
installations?

#3) Samba comes nearly without any documentation.  The manpages are
somewhat confusing especially since they assume a created directory
/usr/local/samba and a file /etc/smb.conf which Samba did not create on
my machine. How do I set up Samba? How I do find out how Samba is
working (what files are to be edited, what parameters are to be set) ?

#4) Until now, I was not able to configure my soundcard (Maestro II
with an ESS 1968 chipset).  My own custom kernel is working so far and
even my TV card was detected successfully, but not so my soundcard. I
did create device nodes (snd0, bktr0) and tried the sb-driver as well as
the pcm driver without success (the card should be compatible to the
SoundBlaster Standard and to the one of the Microsoft SoundSystem
according to the vendor's information). Which driver is the right one?

Hope I didn't stress your patience too much.
Thanks in advance.

Sincerly,

Thomas Salmon