Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 08:28:35 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        Mike Francis <derf@netxxpress.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hi

On Tue, Jul 14, 1998 at 01:32:50PM -0700, Mike Francis wrote:
> Hi
> I'm new at FreeBSD
> How do I tell the differance between a Program and a Directory?
> And I how do I launch a Program?
> I'm trying to launch Apache
> Please some help I cant find where it is at

Let's try to work out what help you need so that you can solve more
of these problems for yourself pretty soon.

It sounds like you're new to unix commands as well as new to FreeBSD.
Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html where you'll see
pointers to documentation, split up into the different skill areas.
In particular, follow the link you'll see there to the tutorial
"for people new to both FreeBSD and Unix" and work through it.
That tutorial should help you a lot.

It's hard to advise you what to do or what what to read, without knowing a
bit more about what you can do already and how your system is set up.

What's your background? Have you used any commandline operating system
before, for example DOS? Any unix experience at all? Did you install the
X Window System (the graphical interface for FreeBSD) or not? Have you read
the FreeBSD Handbook at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ and if so did you
understand the parts of it that you needed?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-