Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 18:41:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>
To:        "Kelley L." <kosh@kosh.cococo.net>
Cc:        "Greg A. Woods" <woods@zeus.leitch.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Matt Behrens: Re: kernel compile problem

For what it's worth, I feel that it is quite important for kernel-only
users to be able to continue to use the tools in an unbroken state for
the period up to 3.0.  Yes, you need to follow the list.  Yes, you need
to spend a little time to get -STABLE up and running.  But until we
create a collection tag "src-buildtools", I don't think we should be
changing anything.  (Consider some of the 28.8k link / 486-class systems
I am maintaining.  Consider I had to cvsup quite a bit on that machine
just to upgrade the kernel because not only was config broken, but some
of my source tree was broken too.)

Anyway, that's my two cents.  Now will everyone please take me poor ol'
name off the subject line of this thread? :)

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Kelley L. wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Jun 1998, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>
> > [ On Mon, June 8, 1998 at 17:18:21 (-0500), Richard Wackerbarth wrote: ]
> > > Subject: Re: Matt Behrens: Re: kernel compile problem
> >
> > > I don't think that the "kernel only" source users would consider
> > > my argument at all bogus. For them, the 2.2 branch is BROKEN. They
> > > cannot apply the latest security updates which affect the kernel
> > > until 2.2.7 is released.
> >
> > It's only broken until it's fixed, and the sooner it's fixed, the
> > better, as then more people will be able to test them.
> >
> > The obvious fix has been discussed, and it seems as if it will be
> > implemented.  It has proven extremely effective in NetBSD.  (I.e. to
> > include src/usr.sbin/config and its contents in the kernel-only source
> > distrbution collections available through ftp, sup, CVSup, CTM, etc.)
> >
> > BTW, anyone seriously trying to keep right up to the minute with
> > security fixes and such would be better off with user-land only than
> > with kernel-only.  People with so few resources should let other people
> > manage the source tree and they should stick to releases only.
> >

>    I've recently come over from linux land, and I think FreeBSD is much
> more stable. The recent linux kernels in the 2.0.x series seem to be
> incorporating too many new features, and they are for my part much less
> stable than they were before.
>
>    Which brings me to the question, how does one keep FreeBSD up to date
> and secure? Wrong question, mainly concerned with just keeping it secure.
> I use RedHat, and they have the updates to use to keep all the packages up
> to date with security fixes. Does anything similar exist in FreeBSD. I'm a
> little new, so I'm just not familiar with all the FreeBSDisms yet.
>
>    I've been keeping up with the Stable, by cvsup'ing and then make
> buildworld and  make installworld, then rebuilding the kernel and
> rebooting. About once a week. I gathered this was the way to keep fairly
> secure, is this not a correct assessment?
>

> > Working with a live CVS repository (or even a daily copy of it) is bound
> > to produce unpredictable results.  Anyone crying wolf at the slightest
> > perturbance will go hoarse and loose their voice long before they become
> > too annoying.  ;-)
> >

>    Which is why I read the stable list, to read about any problems others
> are having, before I waste any where from 3 to 5 hours making the world
> only to find out it didn't. Of course I would rather buildworld break,
> since it doesn't affect anthing until installworld is run.
>
> later
> Kelley

Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>          | http://www.zigg.com/
Network Operations, The Iserv Company | Proudly running FreeBSD; sworn
MIS, Michigan Kenworth, Inc.          | enemy of Linux, a free hack OS
Chanop Script Coordinator, WWFIN      | and Windows, a non-free hack OS!