Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:10:11 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        Lee Shackelford <lee_shackelford@dot.ca.gov>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Realtek ALC262 and Via ENVY24 sound cards for rel. 6.2

Lee Shackelford wrote:
> Good afternoon, FreeBSD enthusiasts.  For FreeBSD release 6.2, does anyone
> know if there is any simpler way of using sound cards containing either a
> Realtek ALC262 chip or a Via ENVY24 chip than installing the Linux
> emulator, and then using the alsa a.p.i.?  Many thanks.  Yours truly, L e e
> _ S h a c k e l f o r d @ d o t . c a . g o v

Did you try to compile Open Sound System from ports? I have some Realtek
crap and it worked only with OSS. I think that many more devices are
supported in 7.0 so you might want to upgrade the system. Check the
hardware notes.
 For the list of supported devices by OSS you can check Open Sound
System web-site.
They also have a binary package that you can install with pkg_add
utility. Package is sometimes updated before the port!
Best,
Predrag