Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:52:27 -0600
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Andrew Houghton <aah@acm.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native jdk1.4.1 working

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 04:08:38PM -0700, Andrew Houghton wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what's the roadmap for the 1.4.x ports?  I'm truly
> appreciative of all the work that you and Alexey and others have done
> getting Java working on FreeBSD, but status reports have been few and
> far between, and significant patches appear to be languishing in mailing
> list archives rather than getting folded into the patch set.
>
> In particular:
>
> . the last 'official' patchset is from March 7th, 7 months ago.

That is going to change very, very soon.

> . the experimental patchset doesn't have any listed changes since June
> 2nd, 4 months ago

That was a bug in the experimental patchset generation script which I've
just fixed (I think).  The last change was, in fact, today :).

> . there are at least two important patches for -CURRENT that appear to
> only exist in the mailing list archives

Not for very much longer, see above.

> I'm not whining -- from posts in the past few months, it seems like
> significant work is still occurring. It would just be nice to have that
> process be a little more transparent.

Yes, this patchset took longer than we'd all hoped.

My personal 1.4 roadmap looks something like this:

1. Release patchset 4 (almost done).
2. Commit a few patches I've been holding off on until after the patchset.
3. Import recently released JDK 1.4.2 SCSL sources.
4. Fix bugs as time allows.

Alexey's probably includes getting 1.4 JCK compliant and doing a binary
release :).

--
Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Information Technology              FreeBSD : glewis@FreeBSD.org