Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:52:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Dyson <dyson>
To:        bjj@sequent.com (Ben Jackson)
Cc:        jdl@jdl.com, gjennejohn@frt.dec.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of ISDN drivers

> > Even in Indianapolis, we get the full 64k+64k.
>
> My impression was that you got 56k*2 + 16k, where the 16k was for routing
> and control type information, but could be used for your data if your ISP
> was connected to the same phone switch as you.

There are 2-B channels, and 1 D-channel.  The B channels are usually
circuit switched and are capable of 64K -- except for when there
are antiquated trunks between COs. The D-channel is used for signaling
and can also be used for packet data if so provisioned.  (Actually
the signaling is packet Q921/Q931.)  It is possible on some switches
to configure the B-channel to be packet swithced, but the overhead is
excessive.

John Dyson