Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:14:10 +0100
From:      John <freebsd-root@i-zone.demon.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD, maximum memory and 440TX chipset

Hello experts

(cc'd to freebsd-hardware where it is also relevant)

I have an Abit PX5 (440TX) motherboard. I have been advised that, as a
win98 machine at least, adding more RAM than 64MB will see a performance
hit in the order of 10% as the chipset cannot cache more than 64MB.

The cpu is an Intel P166MMX

The board can take up to 256MB

My questions:

Will I see this performance hit in FreeBSD? i.e. is this issue solely
chipset specific? Does anyone else here run more than 64MB on a 440tx
chipset?

Thanks
--
John