Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 04:17:34 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Peter Kok <cckok00@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: free chat server

On Tue, Jun 19, 2001 at 08:45:30PM -0400, Peter Kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Do you know where I  can get free chat server like MSN?

You can install an IRC server of your own and use it as a replacement
of the chat server you were using in MSN.  Links to information on the
software used in a few of the largest IRC networksk today are listed
below:

  + Undernet uses `ircu'
	< http://coder-com.undernet.org/ >

  + DALnet uses `bahamut'
	< http://bahamut.dal.net >

  + EFnet uses `hybrid'
	< http://www.efnet.org/archive/servers/hybrid/ >

Grab yourself the copy and documentation given with one of these
servers, read the documentation, install the program, and you're ready
to go :)

You can also find lots of useful links and documents on setting up an
IRC server in the documentation pages of the networks I referred to
above:

  http://www.user-com.undernet.org/documents/
  http://help.dal.net/docs/
  http://www.efnet.org/docs.html