Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:56:10 -0800
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Posix Semaphores in -CURRENT

Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 08:41:16 -0800, Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net> said:
>

>>So, is there some mechanism I am missing?  Is there a layer between the
>>application calling sem_open and the kernel receiving the parameters
>>that strips it down to the last component?  If there is a higher level
>>involved here, why is the low-level ksem_create function worrying about
>>embedded '/' characters?
>

> I find this rather puzzling.  Speaking as a standards person, I can
> state with some certainty that *the name of a POSIX semaphore is
> intended to have path name semantics*.  It is not required to be an
> actual path name, but there is a clear expectation that a quality
> implementation will do so.  The POSIX developers saw these IPC objects
> as being analogous to shared memory objects or fifos, and did not see
> a compelling reason to invent an entirely new namespace for them.

What are you puzzled about?  I am asking why uipc_sem.c checks for
embedded slashes.  I agree with you that it should allow arbitrary
pathname strings as semaphores and it appears to me that it does not, in
fact, allow arbitrary pathname strings as named semaphores.

I am asking where my misunderstanding of uipc_sem.c is, or if I do
understand it correctly, why does it place this restriction on named
semaphores.

> Stevens actually suggests an implementation of named semaphores in
> which the semaphore is represented by a file which contains the name
> (``key'') of an SVID semaphore.

That would be a truly horrid implementation of named posix semaphores.
I was hoping to get away from all SVID-related anachronisms here.

/Joe