Date:      Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:55:58 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Sandra Kachelmann <s.kachelmann@googlemail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, dougb@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: remove BUILD_DEPENDS automatically after install

Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
> (portmaster author cc:ed)
>
> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 1:06 AM, Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se> wrote:
>> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 11:44:04PM +0100, Sandra Kachelmann wrote:
>>> Is there a reason why BUILD_DEPENDS aren't being removed after a port
>>> has been installed and if no other installed port depends on it?
>> How do you know that the user does not want that port installed?
>> And what if the user will install 20 other ports afterwards - all of which
>> is that same port as a BUILD_DEPENDS - should that port be
>> installed/deinstalled each and every time?
>
> It would be nice if this was configurable. Maybe it could be even
> integrated into portupgrade or portmaster. If such a port is installed
> directly it could get a package entry DIRECT_INSTALLED=yes in
> /var/db/pkg/.. or something (there is probably a better way to do
> this).

If you installed from packages, they'd never get installed at all.
portmaster and portupgrade both have ports tree based package support,
pkg_upgrade (sysutils/bsdadminscripts) has index based package support
and there's, in my opinion, rarely a reason to build your own packages,
though I'm guilty of doing that, too. At least on one of my machines.

Regards