Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 02:46:48 -0400
From:      Ben Williams <williamsl@home.com>
To:        Tim <tms@psiklone.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re[2]: spontaneous (?) reboot

Quoting Tim                                Wednesday, April 26, 2000
T> On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Ben Williams wrote:
>> I remotely administer a FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #0: Fri Mar 10 15:52:31
>> EST 2000  machine that rebooted apparently without direct command or
>> any faults I know to look for. There is nothing out of the ordinary in
>> /var/log/messages prior to the reboot and I had set up custom
>> logfiles of `vmstat -w 5` and `netstat -w 5`. The only thing logged out
>> of the ordinary was to the netstat log which seems to end in a string
>> of ASCII 1's ("^@").
>>
>> This is the second time in the past week this has happened. How can I
>> go about finding the cause for these reboots? This is a
>> gateway+sendmail box for a client so I need to get to the bottom of
>> this ASAP.
>>
>> TIA,
>> Ben Williams.

T> I had something similar happen with a 4.0 system recently. Nothing in the logs
T> and I hadn't changed anything except I added a new soundcard. I believe I was
T> having power fluctuations. I don't have a voltmeter so I couldn't check, but I
T> did catch the lights dimming in the same timeframe. I know you mentioned it's a
T> remote system but maybe you could get someone to add a UPS. I didn't have
T> enough cash for one but my problem seems to have cleared up(for now anyway).

T> Good Luck,

T> Tim S

   Unfortunately that system is already on a UPS so unless the UPS
itself is getting bad flaky ... thanks for the suggestion though. I'll
bring it up with the site owner and see if he can provide me with
(even a temporary) replacement UPS to see if that cures the problem.

   If anyone else has any ideas to throw in the hat please let
yourself be heard! (Right now I'm up for almost any at least
semi-plausable explanation + fix.)

--Ben Williams
mailto:received@email dot com