Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 22:38:41 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   pxeboot in FBSD 4.4 buggy?

I posted several hours a posting about a problem and I tried to study
the problem and got several notes about what I watched.

I have the problem that since yesterday's cvsupdate our diskless X terminals
won't work. Today I cvsupdated an hour ago the last time to get rid of the
problem, but no way.

Symptoms:

The diskless systems, AMD K7 DURON based machines, 64 MB RAM, DFI AK74-EC
motherboard, Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 NIC with the lates boot rom firmware
(as release 17) and a gigabyte ga660+ graphics accelerator card, boot
normaly over network via PXE, connecting to a DHCP using isc-dhcp2 and loading
the kernel via TFTP. This worked until yesterday perfectly. four of six terminals
were started later this day after the last cvsupdate - and the crash shortly after
showing the information that they try to load via TFTP. The crahs is really
funny and coloured, I see the screen full of flashing, coloured 8x16 blocks as they
are known from the early days of cga or vga devices in text mode. Two of these
terminals were started early this day before I did the cvsupdate and buildworld
and are still running.

I seems to me that the pxeboot or loader code has been 'weird up' due all of our servers
were cvsupdated the same time and work perfect till now. Can anyone proof this strange
behaviour?

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)