Date:      Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:29:37 -0700
From:      Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>
To:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MTA authentications

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:20:50PM +1200, Dan Langille wrote:

> I don't ever remember setting up a certificate.  Where should I be
> looking?

Well you'll need to generate one.  Ususally it's a good idea to get the
requisite info from a Certificate Agency (again VeriSign comes to mind,
but there *are* others) otherwise you can generate that yourself.  You
then feed it to OpenSSL to generate something that your MTA will
understand.  Then you should tweak the m4 stuff for sendmail and
regenerate your configuration files, etc.  Me, I like postfix which tends
to be much simpler.

> Hmmm, I think that's the option for me.  Anyone know what I should be
> looking for?

Check thru the m4 templates.

> Please explain to me how having a certificate will make me more secure.

With this host at least, it will allow you to use TLS to encrypt traffic
between the two hosts.  The obvious advantage is that your message can't
be deciphered easily.  This is more of an advantage if you're using some
insecure method of SMTP authentication (PLAIN/LOGIN and/or NTLM, and to
some extent CRAM-MD5 too).

In general the certificate (when signed by a notable, and trustworthy CA)
will allow the other end to verify who you are.  Think of it as a
public/private key pair.

- alex