Date:      Mon, 8 May 2000 00:59:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Soren Schmidt)
Cc:        adsharma@sharmas.dhs.org (Arun Sharma), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Current)
Subject:   Re: Abit BP6 - UDMA66 and non IBM disks

> It seems Arun Sharma wrote:
> > I have the following disk:
> > ad4: 9787MB <WDC AC310200R> [19885/16/63] at ata2-master using UDMA33
> > and am experiencing hangs when I run it with UDMA66.
>
> That exact disk model cant do UDMA66 reliably, even Linux has it
> on the blacklist in the driver....
>
> > I read the threads from Feb, where it was said that non IBM disks
> > had problems with the UDMA66 code in FreeBSD. Some of you said that
> > the disks worked just fine with other OSes.
>
> Not all non IBM disks has problems, that was not the message back
> then, at least not from me. What I said, and still says, is that
> Maxtor and WDC has a bad reputation on making drives that can't work
> reliably with UDMA66, quantum has its share too but not so bad.
> IBM's on the other hand works as expected...

Perhaps that is why Western Digital has gotten the nick name around
here of ``We Don't Care''.  :-)  In all seriousness we stopped using
WD drives in the retail store front computers over 2 years ago due to
they problems we have had with them.  Been using Fujitsu with very
good luck, and IBM on the higher end and been very happy with them.

We use to be big in Quantum scsi drives, but with IBM finally getting
it's supplier side act togeather as far as channel avaliability of the
SCSI products we've switched the AAI commercial server side over to them.
I can't remeber when the last problem was, ohh.. yea... 1 doa unit out
of 32 drives, probably caused during the assembly process of stuffing
them in the kingston canisters (a not too gental operation).  Infact
now that I think about it that is the only problem we have had with
IBM drives in over 500 units sold.  Not bad, thats a .2% AQL, something
I don't recall seeing in any disk drive product line we have used over
the last 8 years !!

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net