Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 1996 02:56:42 +0100 (MET)
From:      Alain Brauner <alainb@freegate.gna.org>
To:        Lars Gerhard Kuehl <lars@elbe.desy.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pageable kernel? [was: PnP Proposal]

Bonjour,

On Thu, 11 Jan 1996, Lars Gerhard Kuehl wrote:

[ About very very sofisticated kernel ]

> A nightmare, it has been one of the most important reasons that I've
> changed to FreeBSD and switched back to SunOS on our Sparc boxes.

You're not alone ...

> FreeBSD is adult and doesn't need to follow every fashion.
> The kernel size isn't really an issue well say up to two or
> three MB.

I completely agree, please, keep it simple .

The 'commercial' fashion is to increase system complexity.

The result tends to increase vendor dependance (that's what we are
fighting against !).

FreeBSD has the word free on it, isn't it ?

I prefere FreeBSD because it's PnW ( Plug And Work ) :)

We already have : 386BSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Mach4lite, OpenBSD & ( BSDI ),
I guess it's far enought, don't you think so ?

Anyway, i thank you all for your wonderfull work.

Sinceres salutions.

-*-
FreeBSD:<Live free or die>
Alain Brauner: alainb@freegate.gna.org