Date:      Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:42:17 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        Josh Tolbert <hemi@puresimplicity.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drive concatenation...Which tool to use?

At 08:56 PM 7/25/2007, Josh Tolbert wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I've got a friend that wants to use a FreeBSD box for a file server. He has a
>huge pile of drives of different sizes, but he wants them all as one big file
>system. What's the appropriate tool for this? gstripe doesn't seem like it'd
>be smart to use with differently-sized drives. Is gvinum up to snuff and
>stable enough to use? Is ccd still supported? What would be your tool of
>choice?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Josh

Given that the drives are different capacities you might want to just use
the different drives for different portions of the filesystem, such as
using a smaller drive for swap, then using different drives for:
/usr/local
/usr/src
/var
/
/etc

The choices depend on the drive capacities and what the server will be used
for.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.