Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 20:08:50 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        robby <robby@indo.net.id>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support for amateur radio

robby writes:
> Hello..
> I am  a ham radio my callsign is YB0IN. I used to use REDHAT-6, Debian,
> Slackware, Mandrake, Caldera all Linux Flavors.
> Now I am experimenting FreeBSD 2.2.8 for networking via radio UHF/HF.
> I am looking for AX25utils support for BSD.
> Could you advice me where I could get it?
> Currently I am using WAMPES to interface Freebsd to Radio.

Once Upon A Time I was using TNOS 2.2 under FreeBSD. One thing lead to
another so I didn't get the 3 or 4 little FreeBSD things broken in TNOS
2.30 submitted in time for its release. Nothing major, you simply have
to fix some compile time errors. I've forgotten exactly what.

There is a new home for the TNOS email list. Its at
Majordomo@delphi.wagate.com, simply send them a message containing
"subscribe tnos-sig" to subscribe.

The JNOS people have been quite active in the past. They probably have
a better NOS now that TNOS. Don't know if they ever had it running
under FreeBSD. ftp://pc.usl.edu/pub/ham/jnos is the home of JNOS.

But your exact question was for "AX25utils support for BSD". There is
nothing like Linux's AX25utils for BSD as BSD does not do AX25 in the
kernel. At ftp.ucsd.edu there used to be some patches for 386BSD 0.1 in
an early attempt at putting AX25 in the kernel. Believe these were used
by Linux people in the early days for inspiration.

As for myself, I don't think I want AX25 in the kernel. Would prefer a
user process that connected to a tun or ppp device.

Linux users of TNOS would connect TNOS to the kernel's network using
SL/IP thru a pty. FreeBSD's slattach died when asked to attach to a pty
so that never worked for me (last tried in FreeBSD 2.1.5). But for a
while I connected TNOS out one serial port and back into another to my
kernel's network stack.