Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 09:52:08 -0400
From:      "Tim Radigan" <rad2921@cup.edu>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Upgrading to 4.0 from 3.1

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this mailing list and kind of new to FreeBSD.  I am attempting to
upgrade my version (3.1) to 4.0.  I used the cvsupit.tgz package found on
FreeBSD.org.  Everything finally updated but now I'm not sure what to do.
I've read the FAQ and printed out the 14 pages on the make world command.  I
was just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as to what
I should do next.  I've tried to upgrade before, but it failed miserably for
some reason.  I really don't want to go through the retrieval process of
unbacking up my backup files, so if anyone can point me in the right
direction as to what should/should NOT come after a CVS update, then please
let me know.  I know I should reboot into single user mode, but I'm not
exactly sure what to do next since so many different documentations say
different things.

If anyone has any suggestions, or even a good source for documentation,
please let me know.  Thank you.

Tim Radigan