Date:      Mon, 13 Dec 1999 09:17:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith)
Cc:        haro@tk.kubota.co.jp (Munehiro Matsuda), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ATA weird message?

It seems Mike Smith wrote:
> > It seems Munehiro Matsuda wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I am using -current as of December 9 (CTM:src-cur.4130.gz), and
> > > got following weird ATA related messages while 'make -j4 buildworld'.
> > > I never had this kind of message when using wd drivers.
> > >
> > > 	ata0-master: ad_timeout: lost disk contact - resetting
> > > 	ata0: resetting devices .. done
> >
> > Hmm, maybe the timeout in ata-disk.c is too short, try increasing
> > the 5*hz to say 10*hz in line 436, and see if that changes anything..
>
> Ugh.  Are we still using these short timeouts for I/O transaction
> completion?  Much pain some time back established that we need at least
> 30 seconds for some drives doing internal error recovery, and as long as
> the drive is returning something sensible (ie. still busy), we should
> give it at least that long.

Not really, the timeout for completing a request on a drive that
said it is ready, _should_ complete in much less than 5 secs, but
a reset of a hung drive should be waited for 31 secs, which we
do allready in ata_reset()...

I'm afraid that the sporious timeouts that some are seeing is an
artifact of another problem...

-Søren