Date:      27 Mar 2001 23:14:46 EST
From:      "Mark Sergeant" <mark.sergeant@snsonline.net>
To:        KESHAV TADIMETI <tadimetikeshav@usa.net>, freeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: new (and scared!!)

No FreeBSD can be for everyone, it has a learning curve but then again so do
all operating systems (including windows). As far as FreeBSD 2.2.5 goes I would
recommend downloading an iso of say 4.2-RELEASE and using this, if bandwidth is
an issue you can get the 4cd kit from bsdmall.com. As far as irq's go I
peersonally have never had to specify any aparft from for my old sound card.
You can download a offline copy of the handbook, pdf, html etc versions are
available, have a look on www.freebsd.org/handbook.html . Performance wise I
find its faster than redhat in everything I do, including the running of linux
programs, I used to have a linux machine for things like StarOffice etc but now
I find no need since FreeBSD's linux emulation runs things faster than redhat
6.2 itself could.

All I can say is if you have issues, use google, the archives of this group and
finally post to this group and you have a 99.9% chance of finding the answer.

Ohh btw, I may be a bit biased but hey I just think FreeBSD rocks.

Cheers,

Mark

On 28 Mar 2001 11:54:17 SGT, KESHAV TADIMETI said:

> Hello,
>  I am trying to come to grips with FreeBSD. I have a FreeBSD (version 2.2.5).
>  (Here in SIngapore it is hard to find FreeBSD distributions).
>
>  I have the following questions:
>  1. Is this reserved for experienced UNIX professionals - I mean the
>  installation? FreeBSD requires that we supply the IRQ numbers. My BIOS has IRQ
>  detection set to AUTO mode. Does anyone have a pdf version of the 'HANDBOOK'.
>  For those who do not have an internet connection, it can be a harrowing
>  experience to install w/o a manual.
>
>  2. Performance-wise is it better than RedHat based clones?
>
>  3. If no,why choose FreeBSD at all?
>
>  If I have asked the wrong Qns or asked them in the wrong place, I'd appreciate
>  it if you could direct me to the right place.
>
>  T&R
>  TK

"Apathy is not the problem, it's the solution"