Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:58:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Richard J Kuhns <rjk@grauel.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't write tape with -current kernel

In article <13831.49269.578934.271721@moran.grauel.com> you wrote:
> sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 6 lun 0
> sa0: <ARCHIVE VIPER 2525 25462 -007> Removable Sequential Access SCSI1 device
> sa0: 3.300MB/s transfers

> Mode      Density         Blocksize      bpi      Compression
> Current:  QIC-320         1024 bytes     16000    unsupported
> ---------available modes---------
> 0:        QIC-320         1024 bytes     16000    unsupported

According to the old st driver's quirk entries, this drive can only
do QIC-120, QIC-150, and QIC-525.  The CAM driver does not have this
information on hand, and relies on the user to specify a proper density.
Ken and I are looking at the best way to deal with these kinds of
issues without bloating the driver too much.  In the mean time,
can you experiment with different densities (via mt) and see if this helps
your situation?

--
Justin