Date:        Mon, 23 Oct 2000 01:59:43 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Sverre Valgeirsson <e96sv@efd.lth.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Connecting an Amiga to FreeBSD gateway

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 01:10:37AM +0200, Sverre Valgeirsson wrote:
> Hi.
> I just found my old A1200 in the basement and now I would like to somehow connect it to
> the internet through my FreeBSD gateway.
> How can I connect the machines directly, and allow the amiga on to the internet
> through the gateway?
>
> I assume I should be able to do this with a serial cable, but how?

This is fairly easy. First you need a TCP/IP stack for the Amiga. I would
recommend Miami (available from http://www.nordicglobal.com)
(If your A1200 is unexpanded you might get a bit tight on memory)

Then you connect the computers together with a null-modem cable (unless you
want to fork out the money for networkcards).
Then you set up ppp on the FreeBSD machine as a server.
After that you just ask the Amiga to connect to the FreeBSD gateway.
(Details depending on your TCP/IP stack)

The most difficult part is probably setting up ppp correctly on the
FreeBSD machine but the manpage and the PPP primer should be enough to let
you do it.  (It is not very difficult but the rest is even easier.)

Oh, and remember to set
gateway_enable="YES"
in /etc/rc.conf

(And in case you wonder, Yes I have such a setup here and it works just
fine.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson