Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 14:06:04 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Killing a process?

In the last episode (Jun 17), Dean Hollister said:
> I have a process that has the "D" flag on it, according to the man
> page:
>
> "D Marks a process in disk (or other short term, uninterruptable)
> wait"
>
> So how can I kill it?

Find out what it's waiting for, and try to free up the resource.
Processes in the "D" state do not respond to signals, so you can't just
kill -9 it.

If you're a kernel hacker, you can do a "ps axl" and find out what the
kernel is waiting on.  The "WCHAN" column says where in the kernel the
process is sleeping.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com