Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2000 07:00:27 -0700
From:      Dirk Myers <dirkm@teleport.com>
To:        Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make install in ports non leaf

Jay Krell flailed at the keyboard, producing:
> Why can't you make install in non leaf ports directories?
> cd /usr/ports
> make install
> cd /usr/ports/lang
> make install
> ?

I don't know the canonical answer, but I suspect it has to do with the
quantity of programs in ports, and the fact that there may be multiple
versions of the same program in ports.  For example, I'm looking at
the /usr/ports/lang directory now, and there look to be ~9 versions of
tcl included.  It seems excessive to me to have all those installed on
the same machine, but I guess some folks really like tcl ;).

To get to the meat of the post, though, for people who really want to
do this, something like this should work (adjust for the shell
you're using, this works in zsh):

(with /usr/ports/lang the current directory)

for i in `ls`:
do
   cd $i ;
   make install clean ;
   cd .. ;
done

If you want to do this one level higher up, just nest the for in another
loop.

NOTE:  I have no idea whether (for example) the various versions of
tcl will peacefully coexist or not, so I may be selling you rope,
here.

Dirk	   dirkm@teleport.com
--
Well, if you're going to kill me, hurry up.  I have to take my tonic
at two. -- Groucho Marx