Date:      Wed, 3 Feb 1999 09:48:25 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        Dima Sivachenko <demon@gpad.ac.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Most stable version

On Wed, 3 Feb 1999, Dima Sivachenko wrote:

> I am deciding what version of FreeBSD to install to my computer.

If you can, wait a couple weeks and install 3.1-RELEASE. Otherwise, do a
network installation of 3.0-STABLE.

> I need the latest stable version.

That would be 3.0-STABLE. It's only available for download at the moment.

> So what is the difference between 2.2.8-RELEASE and 2.2.8-STABLE?

2.2.8-RELEASE is 2.2.8 as it was released on CD. 2.2.8-STABLE is
2.2.8-RELEASE with post-release bugfixes and additions. The 2.2 branch was
recently EOLed. 3.X is the new stable branch.

> Does 2.2.8-STABLE already have ELF support?

Not built-in. Use 3.0-STABLE or later for that.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji