Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:06:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   edquota problem

I'm not sure exactly what list this should really be on.  Please enlighten
me for next time.

I just got nailed by an "implementation detail" in edquota.

Specifically the code which determines whether the parameter is a username
or a range of uids only checks for a) whether the first character of the
parameter is a number and b) whether there is a dash in the parameter.

Of course, I have a system with a user with the username of 2-xhibit (no I
can't get the user to change), which makes edquota think that that
username parameter is actually a uid range which it interprets as meaning
the range of 2-0, which it errors out on.

IMHO, I think that either fixing this to actually check to see if the
parameter is ONLY numbers and a single hyphen would be a good idea.  Of
course, this then doesn't permit usernames of like 10-4 or something like
that.

The other option would be to check the parameter FIRST against the
password file and if the parameter is a valid username, then use it as a
username instead of a range.

Alternatively, providing a switch to force one way or the other would be
ok also.

I would patch the code and submit a fix if I knew what people thought the
best way to fix this is, or if even people think that it should be changed
at all.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ