Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 1996 11:43:56 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        msv@arisia.net (Mark S. Velasquez)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   mt (was: message without subject line)

Mark S. Velasquez writes:

>   Well, I know I'm asking a stupid question, but I'll do it anyways :
>
>   I've installed a 4mm scsi tape drive(a Conner 4326NP) and then dumped my
> filesystems via the following script :
>
>  /sbin/dump 0udf 61000 ganymede:/dev/nrst0 /
> /sbin/dump 0udf 61000 ganymede:/dev/nrst0 /usr
> /sbin/dump 0udf 61000 ganymede:/dev/nrst0 /var
> /sbin/dump 0udf 61000 ganymede:/dev/nrst0 /export/home
> /sbin/dump 0udf 61000 ganymede:/dev/rst0 /export/cache
>
> This seems to work fine, however, when I do a "restore -if" to look at the
> tape, I can only see the first(/) filesystem I dumped.
> I'm doing an "mt -f /dev/rst0 fsf 1", etc. , to skip to the next dump-file
> on the tape, but I never get to the next dump.

That's right.  /dev/rst0 is rewind on close.  This means you skip
forward one file, close the file and rewind it again.  When
positioning tapes, always use the no-rewind device (/dev/nrst0 here).
You're doing the right thing with your dump script by using /dev/nrst0
for all except the final dump.

You'll get more answers if you include a subject line.

Greg