Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 1996 02:07:04 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        n1epo4tl@ibmmail.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to 2.1

> 1) Note I said inadvertantly.  I didn't actually intend to do it.  I
> had created the boot disk and booted from it to test it in preparation
> for upgrading later when I had more time.  I intended to abort the
> update procedure at the point where it said "do you really want to
> continue?  This is the last chance to say no before your disk gets
> irretrievably overwritten", or some such thing.  It didn't (unless I
> blinked and missed it).  I decided to let it continue rather than end

Hmmmm.  I will verify this! :-)

> 2) During the update, it complained that it couldn't find proflibs.

>From the CD?  You don't mention the media you're using..

> 3) I thought it said it would back up /etc in /usr/tmp/etc.  When I
> looked, /usr/tmp/etc contained the new files as did /etc.  So all my
> changes got lost.  Fortunately, there weren't many of them.

!! This definitely shouldn't have happened.  I've checked this code
several times and done upgrades where I verified that the changes
*did* get preserved, yet your the second person who's reported this
happening to them.  I wonder if you guys are typing any weird paths at
the `where to save?' prompt, or have interesting filesystem layouts
that cause the default location to fail.

Grumble.  I'd like to be able to reproduce it, I really would!

						Jordan