Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:27:37 +0000
From:      Randy DuCharme <randyd@nconnect.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Assembler programming

Greg Lehey wrote:

> Randy DuCharme writes:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >      This may be another dumb question, but can one do 'pure' assembly
> > language programming under FreeBSD?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, how?
>
> With some difficulty.  The assembler is called as, and is a standard
> part of the system.  It's used by the compiler, for example, which
> outputs assembler code.  Unfortunately, the code is not compatible
> with Intel mnemonics and syntax.  Here's an example: ....

Thanks much for your input and example.  I'm a tad disappointed however.
I'd hoped to be able to use the familiar INTEL 80x86 mnemonics!  I've
found NOTHING locally in the way of UNIX programming books and still
find great difficulty using the OS's man pages.  The reason I'm so
interested in assembly code is because I developed a few C callable
modules for DOS using MASM.  They were simple-but-fast graphics routines
that I've been able to use on nearly ANY C compiler.  I'd hoped to be
able to use the same source (with a few mods) and re-assemble them and
use them in attempting to port some of my stuff to UNIX. (WHAT WAS I
THINKING ???!) I went that route in DOS because I found it to be more
'portable' between compilers, as compiler vendor's graphics libraries
varied greatly.  I've been looking through the man pages and reading
header files (a few) to see if there's any provision for graphics /
screen routines using the GNU compiler.  So far I've found none.  ( Do
they even exist ???)  The C / C++ route is probably a better way to go
as (and it's been said 1000+ times) the compiler most always generates
better code than the human does.  Though I've found C graphics to be
slower than assembler graphics ( and larger in size ).  I'll keep
looking for some good literature on programming UNIX.

Thanks again!
Randy