Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 01:03:24 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Marius Bendiksen <Marius.Bendiksen@scancall.no>
Cc:        Scott <scott@SchematiX.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Huge Bug in FreeBSD not fixed?

> >I would like to know if other systes are vulnerable as well. I discussed
> >this matter on IRC and everyone said they had similar problems. This bug
> >needs to be addressed soon. I would HATE switching to linux because my
> >system keeps crashing.
>
> I experienced the same thing, with someone on IRC threatening to take down
> my box. Of course, I laughed at him, but then my box went down. He also
> said he was going to attack freefall, and that would _certainly_ be bad
> news. He was running Linux, as I recall.

freefall.freebsd.org:~>uptime
 1:00AM  up 12 days,  9:14, 9 users, load averages: 0.16, 0.19, 0.18
hub.freebsd.org:~>uptime
 1:01AM  up 12 days,  6:52, 5 users, load averages: 0.37, 0.23, 0.13
ftp.freebsd.org:~>uptime
 1:02AM  up 7 days, 22:39, 7 users, load averages: 62.89, 52.34, 46.41

Someone's talkin' loud, but ain't saying nothin.

>From your point of view; I would suspect that you're just not playing
safe enough.  Check all your small servers are off, and that you're
protected from massive DOS attacks.  Likewise make sure you're up to
date, and that you haven't been compromised.