Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 08:39:42 -0500
From:      "William Gronim" <william@brainlink.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.4,  SSH port,  gai_strerror()

Hello.

	I recently cvsup'd my Jan 25 3.4-STABLE source to a current 3.4-STABLE. I downloaded the latest ports.tar.gz and
attempted to rebuild the ssh (not openssh) port. However,
when the build process attempts to link the ssh binary it
fails because it can't resolve the gai_strerror() symbol,
and a variety of other hostname resolution related functions. Bind (/usr/src/contrib/bind) compiles and installs cleanly, but a 'find / | xargs nm > out; grep gai_strerror out' only finds gai_strerror defined in the object files in bind's compile directory! Shouldn't the bind
hostname resolution functions be part of libc? How should I

	Please respond directly as I am not subscribed to
this list. Thank you.

	--William Gronim