Date:      Sun, 08 Sep 2002 20:50:26 -0700
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> > Actually, the claim was for any non-arbitrary group of humanity,
>> > since the specific games in question require a shared Schelling
>> > point to be predictive.
>>
>> What makes a group non-arbitrary and gets them to share a Schelling
>> point?
>
> What makes them non-arbitrary is the fact that they share a Schelling
> point.

It's arbitrary that you've found them to share one.

>> I provided a counter-example, like you wanted, and you tap dance
>> away. Is it any wonder I don't waste the time to prove anything or
>> provide testable evidence?
>
> Nature is not a valid counter example in the domain of designed
> systems.

More of that hand-waving again. Are you sure you aren't on a parade
float?

( See, if you get to define "valid", then we are discussing your
worldview, not any agreed-upon reality. ;) )

> Foo, you are nothing but a charleton!

Quite a compliment coming from the stodgiest "must define everything"
type person. "Good heavens Miss Yakomoto, you're beautiful!"

>> Well, then I was correct even by this definition. Simple vs complex is
>> arbitrary.
>
> Yeah, they are just "arbitrarily" antonyms...

Everything is arbitrary. ;)

>> > Why is money required, in your opinion, for someone to be able
>> > to act in a professional manner?
>>
>> Definition of "professional". "Engaging in a given activity as a
>> source of livelihood or as a career".
>>
>> (Hmm, a sloop.)
>
> There's you're problem.  You are using definition 2 instead of the
> primary definition.
>
> Professional: characterized by or conforming to the technical or
> ethical standards of a profession.

Look at the definition of "profession", then get back to me.

>> > If the alternative is being burned at the stake for heresy,  I
>> > can pretend...
>>
>> See? You aren't willing to give your life for the truth. ;)
>
> I'm willing to give my opponents life for the truth... ;^).

That's not yours to give, but I'll bet you'll find some argument to
justify that. ;)

>> > "LA LA LA!" <presses key> "I CAN'T READ YOU!"
>>
>> Ah! That "<presses key>" adds an action to your original presentation.
>> In fact, you don't need to sing or shout, you can just <press the key>
>> and get more effective results. |)
>
> Since when isn't sticking your fingers in your ear an action?

It is, however you added <presses key>.

>> > The effectiveness was granted with the conditional "which fits
>> > all the facts".
>>
>> That conditional is irrelavent to "simple".
>
> Sure it is.  It's a modifier on the set of possible explanations.

It's an irrelevant and arbitrary modifier.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

"If there is intellegent life in outer space, then they are
undoubtedly using Earth as their insane asylum."
                                                 -Mark Twain