Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 1997 16:46:40 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        tphilips@cedar.netten.net
Subject:   Re: Couple of newbie questions

As Tracy E. Phillips wrote:

> I have use Linux for a while so i am quite used to bash. How can i make
> bash the system default?

You probably don't want to make it your /bin/sh -- i think our current
/bin/sh is less buggy than bash, and it's less bloated.  Since /bin/sh
is used explicitly or implicitly very often (scripts, system(3) etc.),
a bloated shell is likely to consume more resources.

If your only concern is to make it your login shell, that's fairly
simple to accomplish:

	chsh -s /usr/local/bin/bash

> How can i get the console block curser to be a blinking line?

I'm not a syscons expert (working in X11 most of the time), but have
you tried the `blink' mode for your cursor?  I think it's a blinking
block, but that's perhaps more what you're looking for.  Make the
change in /etc/sysconfig.  To just try, read the manpage for
vidcontrol(1).

> What are ide drives called under FreeBSD? My drives under Linux are:
>
> primary master   = /dev/hda

/dev/[r]wd0

> primary slave    = /dev/hdb   this is where my *nix OS sits

/dev/[r]wd1

> secondary master = /dev/hdc

/dev/[r]wd2

One note of a difference: FreeBSD uses partitioning of its own, but
also can handle fdisk partitions (which we prefer to call slices, to
distinguish them from the historical unix partitions we're using).
This is a two-layer approach.

> Can you alter the location that /stand/sysinstall looks for packages?

(No idea offhand.)

> When will vfat be intoduced?

When it's ready.  The developer (Robert Nordier) ran into serious lack
of time suddenly.  Meanwhile, have a look at mtools.

--
cheers, J"org