Date:      Sat, 28 Feb 1998 13:10:44 -0500
From:      sbabkin@dcn.att.com
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, grog@lemis.com
Cc:        jdn@acp.qiv.com, blkirk@float.eli.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SCSI Bus redundancy...

> ----------
> From: 	Greg Lehey[SMTP:grog@lemis.com]
>
> > I think Julian's SLICE code has something in that direction.  DPT
> > supports INCREASING the size of a RAID-5 array by adding drives.
>
> How can that work?

Something like
	- read N RAID blocks from K disks
	- compute new checksum for K+1 disks and write as less number
        of RAID blocks but each one of bigger size (K+1/K times)
      - add empty blocks at the end of RAID in the added space

What am I wondering is why nobody did that before ? It's so boring
to rebuild the whole RAID if all you want is to add or remove a disk.

-SB