Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:36:50 +0100
From:      rene@xs4all.nl
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup not getting any files

Hi. I've done the following:

ran a 3.4-stable system satisfactorilly, wanted to switch to 4.x

various attempts to upgrade 4.x failed using CVS and make world

re-installed using ISO 4.1 image from ftp.freebsd.org by booting from CD
and leaving the filesystem intact but 're-installing' the system.

installed additional packages using /stand/sysinstall

and all that worked;

 12# uname -a
FreeBSD messenger 4.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE #0: Sun Dec 17 18:12:40
CET 2000
root@messenger:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

Altough the system provides me with samba and inet services, I then wanted
to proceed to further upgrade my system to the STABLE branch, because I still
couldn't get IPFilter installed.

using the following cvsup as such

	cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/secure-stable-supfile

where /etc/secure-stable-supfile reads:

	# Defaults that apply to all the collections
	*default host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
	*default base=/usr
	*default prefix=/usr
	*default release=cvs tag=FreeBSD-STABLE
	*default delete use-rel-suffix
	*default compress

	src-all

(without the tabs, btw ;)
this outputs:

Parsing supfile "secure-stable-supfile"
Looking up address of cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
Connecting to cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
Connected to cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
Server software version: REL_16_1
Negotiating file attribute support
Exchanging collection information
Establishing multiplexed-mode data connection
Running
Updating collection src-all/cvs
--> for a long time nothing happens <--
Shutting down connection to server
Finished successfully

but there are NO new files in /usr/src!!!

Changing the server to cvsup.FreeBSD.org didn't make
ANY difference, unfortunately.

To tell you the truth, I'm getting fairly fed up with it all.
All I wanted was to migrate to 4.x in order to use ipFilter easilly,
and it's turned out to be quite a nightmare for me; after 4 weeks still no
fully working system. -:((

<hangs head>
I admit it. I'm a lost puppy, and I need a friendly
hand to guide me out of the dark forest. ;-)