Date:      Mon, 09 Jul 2001 01:05:25 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic when returning error on MOD_LOAD

"Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru> writes:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pretty confused with the fact that kernel panics when my module's
> event handler returns something greater than zero on MOD_LOAD. I wanted
> module to refuse to load when it can't find it's config file, so I
> thought I can return error code and it will not be loaded, and behaviour
> of module_register_init() and other related functions after quick look
> seems to be intended to do just that. That look very ugly ... what could
> I do wrong ? What is the proper way of doing what I wanted ? And oh yes,
> it's 4.2 system.

I can't reproduce this on -current or -stable.  It's possible that it
was fixed some time between 4.2 and -stable.  If you could post the
code that breaks it for you, however, we might be able to confirm
that.  (Alternatively, you could try a simple module that just does
"return (EINVAL);" on MOD_LOAD and see if it still breaks.)