Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 06:40:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Lazaro D. Salem" <salem@statoil.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/26686: Freeze at boot from 4.3-RC4 floopies - USB conflict?

The following reply was made to PR bin/26686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Lazaro D. Salem" <salem@statoil.com>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc: n_hibma@FreeBSD.org, G.W.Roberts@bangor.ac.uk, lazaro@online.no,
	dougb@FreeBSD.org
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 15:37:54 +0200

 As G.W. Roberts wisely pointed out, the problem seems to be related to
 another driver conflicting w/the NE2000 NIC I _did_ have installed
 when the problem occurred. He suggests the ex driver, but I do not
 know how to check that

 In a private communication G.W. Roberts wrote:

 >If you have a ne2000 NIC installed which is freezing the system when
 probed
 >by the ex driver, the only way to boot is to physically remove the
 network
 >card.  Disabling the ne driver in the kernel configuration does not
 help.
 >It is not a conflict between the ex driver and the ne driver, but
 between the
 >ex driver and the ne2000 NIC.

 So yesterdy I tried removing the NE2000 and voila....! FreeBSD 4.3R,
 4.0R,
 and 4.1R all were able to fully boot my box.

 I mention those releases as they are relevant to the following related
 PRs I submitted before (
 http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=18201 )
 and after (http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=26736 ) the
 present
 one you are reading ( http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=26686 )

 >On the other had, if the ex driver showed up in the kernel
 configuration list,
 >then disabling it would solve the problem, as I used to do in FreeBSD
 3.2 and
 >3.3.  However, in FreeBSD 4 it isn't listed - can someone explain why
 not?!

 >As I wrote in my follow-up, it would be extremely convenient if this
 problem
 >was resolved as soon as possible!

 I second George in this. Otherwise I would have to use an 8bits isolan
 based
 on the not so robust LANCE lnc0 driver.

 The nice developers at FreeBSD might consider the "priority" for this PR

 "high" but the severity of this PR is certainly "critical":
 No GENERIC kernel should hang at boot time before spitting out sensible
 mesagges (I has been around this bug since 4.0R and although I made it
 public in Aug 2000 in PR 18201, no hint was given until Apr-2001).
 Knowing were to look for the problem is at least and that is a
 good starting point.

 Thank to all of you for your valuable time.

 Cheers,
 Lazaro