Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 01:43:32 -0900 (AKST)
From:      Steve Howe <groggy@iname.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV on fd0

> > when creating a boot floppy, the following 2 commands
> > generate the following errors:
> >
> > /dev/MAKEDEV std
>
> Don't do this.  It doesn't create the slice entries for the hard disks
> correctly.

hopefully it is ok if i create the slice entries afterwards?

> > Nov 4 10:10:10 user /kernel: /mnt: optimization changed from SPACE to TIME
>
> Your filesystem is consistenly 99% full so the fs optimization changed to
> save space but slow FS activities.

isn't it the other way around?  it's changing from saving "SPACE"
to saving "TIME", which is just the opposite of what it should do.

> > MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV
> > MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV
> > MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV
> > MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV
> > MAKEDEV: Can't open MAKEDEV
> >
> > the floppy works OK, but i don't understand
> > why the optimization changes on me (the floppy
> > is created with the newfs -o space option)
> > or why MAKEDEV generates 5 errors when creating
> > wd0.
>
> Looks like something happened to the disk.

it does this to every disk.  the disks all check out
fine and format properly in DOS & BSD.  if i execute
the same command on my hard drive, there are no errors.